Losing your teeth can certainly be a nightmare for us. Started by a factor as simple as poor dental hygiene, Gum disease sounds like a small problem but can soon turn out to become a life-threatening disease.
Periodontium is made up of Gums, Alveolar Bone, Fibers which hold the teeth (periodontal ligament). In other words, they are the supporting structures for teeth.
Periodontal disease occurs due to bacterial infection in gums, which spread further to surrounding tissue causing immobility and loss of the tooth. Accumulation of bacterial plaque over some time has a very important role to play here.
Associated with several health problems like diabetes and heart issues, Periodontal diseases can be easily treated if detected early.
When you should visit the dental office?
If you start noticing any of the symptoms, then you need to visit the dentist immediately
- Bleeding during brushing
- Having bad odor from mouth
- Swollen and tender gums
- Loosening of teeth
- Discharge of pus from gums
Management of periodontal disease
- Counseling of patients–Preventing gum problems is not a difficult task. The patients need to be educated about the maintenance of oral hygiene, which can be done easily by brushing twice daily, flossing, or using mouthwash.
- Scaling and root planing (Oral prophylaxis)– Removal of dental plaque and calculus is a basic step to establish healthy teeth structure.
- Adjust bite to prevent extra force on particular teeth which has less bone support.
- Surgical treatment – If oral prophylaxis is not effective then surgically flaps can be opened and cleaned.
- Osseous surgery may be required.
Maintaining oral hygiene is constantly required, which should be adapted as directed by the dental hygienist. It is recommended to visit the dental office every quarter to get a professional cleaning of teeth.
At Charter Oak Dental, we provide comprehensive periodontal evaluation and treatment under the expert’s guidance.